Putting doG back in Christmas

Dear Monty,










The dog rests after his walk
His paws washed
Still smell earthy.

He curls foetal
Feet under his nose
Smelling the earth he came from.

It brings a kind of comfort
A memory of the walk
In the garden of a one-time Eden.

Birches white barked and purple topped
Bright sun between the clouds
Which brought so much rain.

He dreams of rabbits and squirrels and chasing sticks
He drifts into deep sleep
Limbs relax.

He twitches and quietly barks
As an orchestra plays mellow music
Plucked mysteriously from the air.





When I smell the earth
It smells of God
It is where I belong.

I am the elements
The rain
The river
The light made manifest.

My flesh is a hindrance
And all that men reach for
To make themselves holy.

Why do we forget where we came from?
Why is humility so hard to grasp
While in the land of the living ?

I am alive when I smell the earth
Out of death comes life
Rich and full of potential.





Nadolig Llawen

Paul

Comments

  1. I seem to have missed this post - lovely poetry I am going to copy it out and add it to my scrapbook fo inspirations. I agree with you all the way here and have just returned from a walk in the woods where I not only smelt the earth I heard the song of the birds and for that short time I was in heaven even though there was traffic noise in the background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is wonderful how we can be transported to a place which is alive beyond whatever noise we can make.☺

      Delete
    2. It is wonderful how we can be transported to a place which is alive beyond whatever noise we can make.☺

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weariness and the NGS

Letter to Monty Don 48

I think gardening might just be another word for tidying !