Essential nourishment

Dear Monty,



Like the weather, which I understand you have at the command of your fingertips, I have been feeling a little bleak recently.

It is the eruptions of anger which catch me out, they indicate all is not well within.



I am angry at my lack of self control. Looking at Rembrandt's self portraits on The High Art of the low Countries, Andrew G-Dixon posited that we don't really know ourselves at all. We can indeed be happy, cruel, sad, helpful, unhelpful, selfish, selfless - depending on our state of heart and mind.




To have a garden is a blessing.

Here is what Derek Jarman says about this strange thing called life :

"Fools sing life in an empty song
quickly lost in the wind,
insignificant.
How wrong.
Though the watch-spring breaks,
the batteries dry on the digits,
the sands of time never run dry:
they defy dread death.
I stand with my camera,
the film unwinding.
Is there nothing but mortality ?
The rushes are quickly over,
I'm there with a second chance.
Time leaks
as the twelve apostles dance."


'Is there nothing but mortality ?' - The great question. Unique to us this pondering of death.
No, there is more - and the earth bares witness to it; even here as life returns to the bare soil.


'Do not work for food that spoils,
but for food that endures to eternal life'

Paul

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to Monty Don 48

Weariness and the NGS

Monty, where does the road take us ?