Monday, 10 April 2017

Tidy

Dear Monty,



I have begun to clear the debris of Winter and the new borders have been planted.
Spring is like a lit fuse, everything is building up to an explosion.

Isn't it strange that we forget what the garden looks like when in its fullness ?
Every year though there are changes, plants have moved about - found their own preferred place - and then there are the plants that have matured and formed larger clumps.

I have been resisting the temptation to be too tidy, because this would preclude the plants wishes to grow where they prefer. It is a struggle though to get the balance right.

I am trying to make a garden that has its own sense of place - and have been reading visiting and learning about what makes such a garden. Sometimes I think I am being pretentious - but then I think of such places as Derek Jarman's garden and am suddenly reinvigorated to keep trying.






I'm looking forward to May and the explosion.

Paul.



6 comments:

  1. Exploding here. I've already lost the battle of the blackberries. Tidy it is not. All the best. Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The explosion comes later here in the hills. I was criticised last year for allowing too many weeds , but I like the mix of meadow buttercups tangled in with grasses and perennials. I also know that weeds support the caterpillars of many of our butterflies. I will endeavor to be more untidy as I learn how to garden with weeds !

      Delete