Shedding



I write this on the day of the first frost of the year - a white veil, a frosted curtain laid over grass and shrubs. Shostakovich is on Radio 3 and Iran and Iraq are split and moved. The earth groaning in anticipation of change.

The earth does not shift here - well not for many years. I remember my wardrobe waking me one morning by performing a percussion against the bedroom wall back in the early 1980's.

I rethink purpose - what is the motivation for living and breathing on such a day? I pray and filter out my conspicuous faults through my visible breath in the crisp air - and the awareness of another realm - found for example in a patch of golden light or in the exquisite beauty of a yellow hawthorn leaf on the background of dark leaf litter -
I shed my old skin and am renewed again in this garden of delights.






Paul.

Comments

  1. Way down south we have a cold snap and snow on the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are having a very mild Autumn despite this one frost - and it seems that we are in for milder Winters according to the 'experts' !

      Delete
  2. O love the frosty pics and a good frost. Not happened here yet. Amazing really how late it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of my favourite pics of Veddw by Charles are the ones of the frosted hedges - frost does accentuate the architectural nature of a garden in a special way.

      Delete
    2. True. And it's like snow - seems to get rarer.... xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weariness and the NGS

Letter to Monty Don 48

I think gardening might just be another word for tidying !