Outsider




Dear reader,



I think I may be an outsider - I have come to this conclusion because it has dawned on me (very very slowly) that I really am ignorant of gardening in the sense of true horticulture and proper husbandry of plants and beds and borders. What is even worse is the fact that I don't seem to care too much about it - obviously not enough to go and learn from the experts. I don't do lawn care, I allow invasive plants to invade and I like weeds.



What has brought on this fit of anxiety again ? Opening for the NGS.

Being in the Yellow Book meant that this year I was offered 3 free copies of 'The English Garden'. I took up the offer and now wish I hadn't. Every garden in there is perfectly presented, and each edition is full of those jobs to do for the season.

I have sown my Higgledy Garden bee friendly seed collection in my newly restored (Welsh vernacular style or cobbled together) greenhouse, and I have thinned out the weeds including creeping buttercup from my borders and beds, but not eradicated them - just managing the numbers, editing them. I want a wild tinged garden, although no 'wild garden' is truly wild if gardened.


Then I saw a feature on this London garden - and realised that perhaps I'm not such a philistine after all. Here a meadow with creeping buttercup divides up the small space.


The great thing about gardens is that they are all unique reflections of the makers, I will continue to delude myself that I am making an interesting garden - and just see what happens when the visitors come.




Paul

Comments

  1. They will love it or at least those of them who are not striped lawn and regimented planting will. I too am in your camp and like a bit of wildness and your garden looks right up mny street. As you say gardens reflect their makers and who is to say one kind is better than another. It's like art really there are those who paint what to me look like photographs and those who paint something that they see and that is a little more abstract and guess which I prefer!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to Monty Don 48

Weariness and the NGS

Monty, where does the road take us ?