Small changes in my approach and attitude result in grasshoppers

 



Dear all,

Because of all the turmoil including the weather and erratic issues including a bad back- I have neglected the garden this year.

I have allowed the space to soften. The cloistered feel remains, but it is wilder. I have let areas of grass grow longer and the mixed perenial 'border' has become less defined. I like the contrast between the wild and controlled areas.

A byproduct - or unintended consequence has been the appearance of grasshoppers, many more than I have ever seen here before. Their appearance brings real felt joy - an inward leap because it reminds me of the abundance of these insects in my childhood of the late 60's early 70's.

Small changes really can make a difference.













It is an emotional thing to recognise how denuded our lives have become as a result of our search for perfection. For children growing up now, they will not know that normal once used to be a multitude of insects hopping, flying and crawling about our gardens and landscapes. I hope they return.

Paul




Comments

  1. Can’t remember seeing grasshoppers here. And we’ve got loads of wild bits. Was expecting a close up of their smiling faces. Hope the back is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too wet to capture any pics today - you'll just have to believe me - much better now - and I've found comments going back 2 years - sorry everyone !!!

      Delete
  2. Can’t remember seeing grasshoppers here. And we’ve got loads of wild bits. Was expecting a close up of their smiling faces. Hope the back is better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to Monty Don 48

Weariness and the NGS

Monty, where does the road take us ?